Tuesday, November 20, 2012

//Handmade// Potato-Stamping Our Way into Christmas

Canadians have their Thanksgiving done way back in mid-October. So essentially after Halloween it's all about Christmas! Almost two full month of holiday preparation seems a bit overwhelming, but when all the shops and malls are all decked-out in red and green, we can not but feel a bit pressed to get started too!

This will be the first Christmas at our new home, and I really want it to be able to leave us with a very special memory. Everytime we have a themed project, I will scan through our entire house to see what mateirals are lying around and can be utilized. For the time being I have my eyes on the newsprint paper that came in the IKEA furniture boxes that were used to wrap the wood boards. They were pretty clean and wrinkle/tear free, so I saved them. Along with the 15lb bag of sale potatoes from the supermarket, I knew we were off to some stamping work!
I should look up who invented the whole potato stamp thing. It's really a simple craft that can let adults and children enjoy. It's easy to carve and strong enough to hold its shape, and very absorbent. Lots of fun to work with!

Prior to getting all Christmas-y, I stamped a picture for my good friend's birthday. Simply repeating the squares in opposite directions created a very organic and textured pattern. 


I actually made a mistake when working with the pattern, can you spot it? 


The birthday poster was done while the kids were at school. When they got home, we were ready to stamp the Christmas motifs! Acrylic/Ink pads on newsprint isn't exactly the most exquisite mix of materials, but we can still create the visual effect while having fun and being very economical.


Even the used stamps put together look so decorative! Too bad these cut/inked potatoes can't really last sitting on the counter.



These long Christmas posters replaced the previous Halloween-themed one and turned our home into holiday mode!
And of course I wasn't about to throw the excess printed paper away. I cut out some areas and glued them onto cereal boxes, and immediately they turned into lovely decorative cards.



Salvaging the last bit - a cheap Ikea frame can do wonders!

So the holiday craft craze has begun. Now I think it's good that we get two months, otherwise we need to call out to Santa's elfs for help!

No comments:

Post a Comment